You don’t need an elaborate garden to enjoy fresh vegetables and colourful flowers. Consider installing a raised garden bed. All you need are a few materials, a small space and a few hours to complete this simple project.
Flower beds do not have to be elaborate to produce fresh vegetables and beautiful flowers. With a raised garden bed, you can customize your garden as you want.
Building a standard 3-ft x 5-ft garden bed with wood is typical; however, you also can use blocks, pavers, stone, or a pile of soil.
For this project you will need 2 x 4s, a 4 x 4 post, tape measure, pencil, square, drill with bits and screw-driving bits, a circular saw, work gloves, soil, landscape fabric, shovel, hoe, level, utility knife, sawhorses, soil, wheelbarrow, and a soaker hose. You’ll also need the flowers or vegetables of your choice.
- Select a location with plenty of sun and access to both sides for easy upkeep.
- Mark the outline of the garden bed on the ground and dig up the sod without disturbing the soil underneath.
- Check the ground with a level to make sure the base is even.
- Lay the landscaping fabric down and cut to cover the bare soil with about 6 inches extra along each edge.
- Cut the 2 x 4s and 4 x 4 s to length, screw the ends of three longer 2 x 4s to a pair of 4 x 4s with the edges and ends flush to form panels.
- Then screw the shorter 2 x 4s to the 4 x 4s to form the box.
- Position the box on the landscape fabric and check that it’s level.
- Cut any excess landscaping fabric and add soil or compost.
- Next plant your vegetables or flowers by pulling back the dirt.
If you wish to add an irrigation system, wind a hose in between the plants and cover it with soil Attach the home to an optional timer for trouble-free watering.