If you buy pineapples don’t throw the top away because with a little care you can make a whole new house plant!
It’s easy and it’s totally green.
Here’s how you do it
- Twist off the top part of the fruit. If it doesn’t twist off easily, use a knife to cut it off.
- Peel away the bottom layers of leaves to about an inch up the stalk.
- Place a few toothpicks into the base and place the pineapple top into a glass of water.
- Within a few weeks you should see nice long roots.
- Once the roots have grown, plant the pineapple top firmly into some potting compost.
Keep your pineapple plant on a sunny windowsill or outside if it is warm.
- Keep the soil moist but avoid over-watering!
- If you see brown leaves – don’t worry as the new green leaves come from the centre of the rosette of leaves.