Traditional French gardens provide a blend of colour and comfort and there are many elements you can work into a garden so that it represents a traditional French garden. The following videos show how you can turn an ordinary backyard into a French country retreat! With straight forward tips on layout, design, inspiration, paving, construction and plants you can transform your garden into your own piece of Provence.
A French garden is all about symmetry and decoration. Geometrically-shaped hedges and shrubs are complemented with parterres and pathways and topiaries. The garden also includes a terrace that allows you to observe the garden which is enhanced with water features like fountains and pools.
- Research French garden ideas – You can look at gardening magazines and websites for tips and techniques. Print out or keep pictures of ideas that you like best.
- To create a French style garden make sure the house is the focal point and greenery is sleek and maintained. Geometrical shrubs and intricate topiaries are the key features to use but you can also have lots of architectural elements at your disposal. Think fountains, statuary and stairs that connect various parts of the garden.
- Decide which Traditional French garden elements you want to add, such as a gazebo, pergola, trellises, fountains, bird baths and figurines.
- Lay out gravel or stone path ways that meander around your garden.
- Incorporate traditional French style seating in quiet recessed areas of your French garden. You could have a stone bench overlooking a rose flower bed and a wrought iron table with chairs under a flowering tree.
The plants to use for your French garden are lavender, dahlias, cannas, and agapanthus. Though initially the French garden was not too colourful it was later enhanced with various other flowers. Be sure to keep hedges and topiaries maintained as the clean lines and geometric shapes are crucial to the style of French garden. If you want an informal French style garden go for the country garden look with brighter colours and a more natural look.