Perennials are a low maintenance choice for beds and borders. You plant them once and they come back year after year. Perennial plants and flowers make a garden look better and better with age. Perennials are plants that live for more than two years. The plants will grow during the warm season, appear to die during the winter and amazingly, will start to grow again from the roots or base of the plant the next season.
Perfect for every garden, this video shows you some new perennials for 2022.
- Often considered an annual by northern gardeners, Guara’s sparkling white petals bloom in its first year.
- You can’t go wrong with the huge, pale pink flowers outlined in a dark cherry colour of the Cherry Cheesecake hibiscus. Make some room in your garden, though, because these hardy winter perennials grow to 5 feet tall and 4 feet wide.
- The award-winning Illumination Flame Digiplexis boasts tall stalks of large reddish-orange flowers with yellow throats, but unfortunately, these sunny perennial plants aren’t equipped for northern climates.
- Create a focal point in your garden with the bold blooms of the Supreme Elegance Cornflower. With a deep red centre and pink petals surrounding the rim, these flowers command your attention.
- If you’re short on space, try gardening a variety of helenium known as Siesta. At just 18 to 20 inches tall, this perennial produces warm-coloured flowers with a deep yellow centre from June until September.
- Silver Heart Brunnera thrive in dry and shady conditions, and their thick leaves won’t wilt in the summer heat, unlike other forms of brunnera.